Written By: Lisa Perry, RDN, Lisa Perry Nutrition, email@example.com
April 22 is Earth day. A day to remind ourselves of the three Rs: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.
Do you know that your diet can have an impact on our Earth, too?
The practice known as sustainable eating is about making food choices that are good for our bodies and our environment.
How can you make sustainable eating part of your life?
Here are a few tips:
1. Grow your own fruit, vegetables, and herbs. It could be a garden in your yard, a few pots in a sunny windowsill or a potted tomato plant.
2. Buy in-season produce, when possible. The fresh berries shipped from thousands of miles away in the middle of winter are more expensive and less nutritious than local berries picked in-season. The added cost is due to long distance shipping.
3. Shop locally. When you buy products grown locally, you are supporting your community. It cuts down on the amount of fossil fuels used in shipping, as well.
4. Consume fewer boxed and canned foods. Think less-processed foods and bulk items. Minimally processed foods tend to be more nutritious. And, bonus – less packaging lowers your cost and you’ll send less waste to the garbage dump.
5. Get to know your grocer, farmer, and restaurateur. Find out where they buy their foods and let them know you’re interested in sustainable eating. Remember: your spending habits influence the products they sell.
Happy, Healthy Earth Day 2019!